- Bedrooms to be cleaned on weekly basis (Head Tenant’s inspection if necessary).
- No food in rooms permitted, you are to eat and drink in kitchen/living room areas only.
- No visitors over night are permitted.
- You are provided with space in the fridge and cupboard. Keep your belongings in these areas. Name should be affixed.
- Keep an eye on your food and be aware of when it goes off, otherwise if rotten it will end up in the bin. Empty and clean the fridge once in two weeks.
- Thoroughly clean plates, and dishes etc with washing up liquid, straight after you finish using them and dry them immediately after washing. Do not leave this for later, even if you are in hurry. Manage your time so that you can always fulfill this duty.
- If you are not doing this appropriately and someone else has to clean on your behalf, you will be charged a penalty, which may be deducted from your bond.
- Use shower cubicle to shower in! If the bathroom is flooded with water after you use it, you are to mop the floor after yourself.
- Always flush the toilet after each use and turn off the water taps properly, so that no water is dripping.
- Washing machine – read manual on how to use it. Control your turn, empty washing machine as soon as your cycle is finished. Remember to empty the filter. If you are the last one to use wash machine, keep the door open to ensure air.
- Iron & ironing board – when finished with iron, turn off and unplug from the wall.
When you are leaving common areas, always:
- Turn off the lights, heaters and TV.
- Disconnect all kitchen appliances (e.g. toaster, coffee machine etc.)
- Make sure everything is nice and tidy.
- Close all the windows and doors (theft, animals & insect). Double lock the patio door.
- Everyone will take turn in cleaning common areas. Please see the roster by Head Tenant. You will share the expenses of cleaning products on weekly basis.
- Ensure there is no excessive waste or usage of water, electricity, gas.
- You are not allowed to bring any other furniture into the house or apartment.
In the house: Every student participates on single weekly cleaning task to keep the house clean and tidy.
- In the bedrooms: (this task is your private and own responsibility once a week and the Head Tenant can check it in the presence of the tenant any time).
- Remove dust from furniture and clean the windows. Use the hover and mop to remove dust from the floor.
In the bathroom:
- Disinfect toilet, shower, bath tub, sink, taps and the floor.
- Clean walls, glass doors and floor where dirty as well as bathroom cupboard.
- Empty and disinfect the bin buckets.
- Do not take long showers and prevent excessive usage of water.
- Close the tabs properly to avoid any leakage.
In the kitchen:
- Thoroughly clean plates and dishes with washing up liquid after each use.
- Clean the under-dishes, tray, working surface, sink and the bench.
- Put away dishes, plates, cutlery when dry (not while still wet) whenever drainer is full (once a day is not enough) to insure all of it dries properly.
- Wipe all the kitchen surfaces, kitchen bench, table whenever it’s not clean and it needs attention.
- Clean/wash up cooker at the end of the day including the extractor.
- Clean Microwave oven (inside and out).
- Clean inside the oven (using Mr. Muscle, read the instructions).
- Clean both toasters inside and out.
- Sweep the floor when needed.
In the sitting/living room:
- Clean / wipe living room table, mop the floor.
- Remove the dust and vacuum the sofa (wash the sofa linens once in 2 weeks)
- In the evening empty rubbish bins, squeeze all the squeezable rubbish before it goes into wheel bin. (YELLOW bins for recycling, RED bins for general waste).
- Clean the bin when dirty with the hose provided in the garden.
- Change the bin bag at the end of the day.
- Clean bin surroundings (wall, glass near bins) from food marks.
- Place the wheelie bin out on the street every Sunday night, and put it back on the right place after council rubbish removal.
- Sweep the outside area, dust off table, floor and chairs.
- Smokers to empty ashtrays on regular basis.
- Keep the house and surrounding areas clean and tidy.
NOTE: If you don’t take your turn or don’t do a good job you will be asked to fix it or you will have to pay $50 to help cover the cost of someone else doing your cleaning. Should you have any comments/suggestions, please feel free to contact your house manager or Austay directly on 0406 232 283.
Moving out duty involves:
- Wash up all beddings
- Clean up bedroom, bathroom, fridges and cupboard
- Delete PC files/folders
- Leave contact number/email address
- Return keys
- Check out time 10am
Please remove all your personal items when moving out and make sure you take everything with you. It is your responsibility to check for your belongings before you move out from the house and you return the house key.
If your room is not in the same state as it was when you arrived (nice and clean), and we have to arrange cleaner to do this for you, penalty charge will apply (cleaning arranged by house manager – fee as per agreement, cleaning by professional cleaner - $ 50). This may be deducted from your bond.
You are to pay the outstanding balance of the $300.00 Bond even if you were charged the penalty.
You are to arrange the new key in case you loss one.
Austay reserves the right to ask you to change the room if space for female or for male or for a couple required.
Please note that you can ask somebody else to do it for you. In this case, please contact your house manager.
Bond will be transferred onto your account within 3 working days after you move out.
- Smokers are to use ashtrays, do not dump butts or ash in the grass or on the ground.
- Keep the noise down after 9.30pm, please respect your neighbors.
- BBQ – use it in groups only, otherwise it is wasting a lot of gas. Never forget to turn the gas off.
- Animals and pets are forbidden in any part of the property.
Swimming pool (where it applies):
- Please note that jumps into the swimming pool are not allowed. You are to take a shower before getting into it. Do not touch any of the equipment or mechanisms of swimming pool. In case of any damage done to swimming pool, $150 penalty will apply.
- Swimming is strictly forbidden after 10pm.
Only in the winter season:
Should you be cold in winter, Austay can provide you with a portable heater for $5 per week. Switch the heater on only if you are in the room; turn it off when you leave the room. If any damage is caused by wrong usage, you will be held fully responsible and charged accordingly. You are not allowed to use any heater other than the one provided by Austay. Never forget to switch your heater off when you leave the property, otherwise we will charge you $50 fee to cover the electricity bill extra costs. All misuse leading to burns or damages are entirely your responsibility. You alone will have to assume all consequences and damages caused to yourselves, to the house/apartment and surroundings.
We understand that these few rules and recommendations might seem tough and demanding. However, if you use the accommodation and house equipment correctly, it will preserve the houses and apartments for one single aim: to serve you the best and longest possible.